Edward Paprocki, Principal Engineer with Hartford Steam Boiler, recommends now is the best time.
Why is spring the best time to shop for a new heating system?
- It’s hard to think ‘furnace or fireplace’ in the summer. It’s easier to think about winter heating costs while they are still top of mind.
- Starting your search in the spring provides enough time to investigate all options, such as converting to gas or geothermal, and government incentives for energy efficient systems.
- Shopping during the off-season means you’re more likely to get a better deal on the system and installation. Here’s a handy checklist to help you cost out your oil-to-gas conversion project.
Good reasons to convert to natural gas
- If available in your neighbourhood, natural gas provides continuous, no-fuss supply versus oil, propane, wood or pellets.
- Natural gas burns cleaner than oil or wood, making maintenance less extensive.
- Natural gas eliminates the odor of fuel oil in your home.
What if natural gas is not available?
- Install a modern high efficiency heating unit. In recent years, strides have been made to make heating systems as efficient as possible.
- Even heat pump systems have become more efficient with the use of geothermal wells which help keep the system operating at peak efficiency.
Why is spring a good time to install a geothermal system?
- Soft ground in the spring and summer makes for easy installation of the wells and necessary piping.
- Installing now means you can test the new system and troubleshoot any issues before winter arrives.
© The Boiler Inspection and Insurance Company of Canada. All rights reserved. This article is for informational purposes only. All recommendations are general guidelines and are not intended to be exhaustive or complete, nor are they designed to replace information or instructions from the manufacturer of your equipment. Contact your equipment service representative or manufacturer with specific questions. Under no circumstances shall BI&I or any party involved in creating or delivering this article be liable for any loss or damage that results from the use of the information or images contained in or linked to in this article.